We aim to develop confident, fluent and enthusiastic writers. Writing is delivered through the ‘Talk for Writing’ structure alongside the teaching of spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Children follow the cycle of Imitation, Innovation and Invention weeks to learn both fiction and non-fiction genres.
- A progression of grammar, sentence level and punctuation objectives are used to inform planning.
- Children are given Tools for Success that link directly to the learning objective. These are used for self, peer and teacher assessment.
- Our detailed marking celebrates success (tickled pink) and provides children with their next step (green for growth). Children are expected to respond to teacher marking.
- Writing Progress assessments take place 6 times per year and are used to inform next step targets.
- Basic skills sessions take place each day to improve spelling, handwriting, punctuation and grammar.
At Parson Street Primary School, we teach children to write using the cursive font. This will allow the children to start joining letters as soon as possible in the school.
Information about this approach to handwriting is available by accessing the resources below.