Reading is vital life skill and we are passionate about encouraging our children to become enthusiastic and reflective readers. Through contact with interesting, challenging, high-quality texts, we aim to develop both reading comprehension and reading for pleasure.
- Our library stock is constantly reviewed and updated by a team of Library Volunteers. Reading books are book banded and levelled according to the Reading Recovery Guide to Book Selection.
- All children read to adults in school on a regular basis. Our support staff and volunteers who are supporting reading in the school are trained as reading partners.
- A progression of comprehension skills are taught throughout the school using the Reading Detectives scheme and a focus on each specific Assessment Focus.
- Every class has a timetabled DAILY whole class reading input as well as input within English lessons and non-core curriculum.
- All children have a Home School Diary which can be used to record the reading children complete with others.
- Benchmarked testing is carried out at least 3 times a year. This ensures that all children in the school read texts that are at the appropriate level.
- Interventions are planned to support children who are working below age related expectation, e.g. Reading Wise.